The room for carrying out hygienic procedures must comply with certain operating conditions due to the high humidity percentage and a specific regime. It is useless to fight water – it can seep into any cracks. The only option would be to completely neutralize the effects of moisture on the finishes and plumbing fixtures. To avoid excess moisture, you should immediately worry about the formation of waterproofing under the tiles in the bathroom. It is she who will form a reliable barrier.
Why is bathroom waterproofing necessary?
Some are convinced that waterproofing is an unnecessary waste of money and effort, and ceramic tiles are completely waterproof. It is not the tiles that allow moisture to pass through well, but the seams between the tiles and cracks in the tiles. An increased percentage of humidity in the room for hygiene procedures is inevitable, and regular temperature changes, steam, and condensation cause mold growth. This does not have a favorable effect on the coatings. Moisture accumulates in areas where floors are laid, which promotes the rapid growth of fungi and other microorganisms.
Before carrying out the work and directly laying the tiles, it is necessary to carry out all waterproofing work which will serve as a barrier to moisture. It is also required in emergencies due to pipe leaks and breaks. After all, any plumbing fixtures become unusable over time, and water begins to flow onto the floor or gradually seeps out little by little, destroying the coating.
What is better for waterproofing a bathroom under tiles?
You can choose the most suitable option among the range of waterproofing materials. The classic composition is bitumen, also used to impregnate lining materials. The best among them:
- mastic for waterproofing bathroom floors;
- materials with the addition of special impregnation;
- pastes and liquid products;
- waterproofing mixtures that affect the porous structure;
- dry mixes;
- sprayable polymer-based products.
Waterproofing the bathroom floor: main options.
When selecting materials for waterproofing work, you should take a closer look at the nuances of the room. Factors taken into account are:
- to protect against moisture in the bathroom, it is not necessary to create such waterproofing as when laying a foundation;
- building materials are pretty expensive;
- You should choose simple technology when waterproofing under tiles with your hands.
Mixtures are divided into types: one-component and two-component. The first is diluted with water, while others are created using an emulsion. Before choosing a material, you must familiarize yourself with the technology and characteristics of working with them.
When forming it, you can choose one of the options:
- the floor surface is covered with a layer of waterproofing, creating sides along the walls 20 cm in height;
- not only the floor is covered, but also part of the walls in places where plumbing equipment is installed;
- The floor and walls are completely processed.
Different techniques are used on floor and wall surfaces when applying the material. This is important to consider.
For example, for roll insulation, the following is used:
- Fastening. This method involves fixing the panel on an insulated base with self-tapping screws with plastic mushrooms with large caps.
- Deposition. To do this, take a hairdryer or a gas burner. During the process, the bottom layer of the coating is melted and spread to the desired location.
- Pasting. It is convenient when the insulating coating has an adhesive layer on one side.
Coating waterproofing for bathrooms under tiles
When choosing this coating option, it is applied in layers. Proper waterproofing of the bathroom makes creating a durable monolithic coating possible. The significant advantage is that there is no need to level the wall, so it can be applied to almost any base.
Don’t let Melbourne’s fickle weather dampen your day! Omnidry offers comprehensive waterproofing services in Melbourne to keep your home dry and secure, year-round.
Liquid mixtures are poured onto the floor and spread, and a brush or roller is used for the walls.
Adhesive waterproofing in the bathroom before laying tiles
Posted waterproofing is created from moisture-resistant material in sheets or rolls, which are fixed with special adhesives. The sheets are overlapped to obtain tightness of the seams. The material has an affordable price. After cutting, such lining material is left for leveling for at least a day.
The surfaces of the walls are leveled using screed and plaster; then, the seams are primed and waterproofed. After this, polymer glue is applied, and sheets are laid. After forming the first layer, sides extending onto the wall are created, and wall protection is included. When pasting walls, the sheets are fixed from bottom to top.
How to properly waterproof a bathroom with your own hands
Before starting, the surface of all coatings must be cleaned and cracks repaired. After leveling the walls, you should begin creating waterproofing after two weeks.
Despite the variety of materials, tiles remain traditional. All connection lines between walls and ceilings are widened to 2 cm and filled with self-adhesive cord or silicone, and then waterproofing tape is applied. After this, all walls, shelves, and corners are covered with anti-fungal agents. Creating a reliable layer of waterproofing is a prerequisite when building a shower without a tray.
Waterproofing a bathroom in a wooden house
Waterproofing a room with a wooden floor is quite specific. Liquid waterproofing for the bathroom is suitable for this work. In addition to standard waterproofing, a special hydrophobic coating is used in this case. For wooden cladding, water-repellent varnishes, paints, and impregnations are used.
First, the walls are covered, and then the corners and floor. Waterproofing walls in a bathroom in a wooden house is done as follows:
- Logs, vapor barrier film, and insulation are on the cleaned floor. All joints are treated with a sealant.
- The waterproofing coating is applied using a roller. After the first layer has dried, the surface is covered with a second layer.
- Tiles are laid.
Waterproofing of swimming pools is created similarly.
Waterproofing a bathroom before laying tiles
When installing a shower without a tray, a drain must be formed to drain the water. The ladder body is located below the finished floor level. Depending on the location of the drain, the deviation ranges from 2 to 3%. The seams must be filled with an elastic profile and covered with glue with a moisture-resistant effect. After this, waterproofing is performed.